Skip to main content

Texas Minimum Vaccine Requirements for Students Grades K-12 chart summarizes the vaccine requirements incorporated in the Texas Administrative Code (TAC), Title 25 Health Services, 97.61-97.72.




All students, new and returning, must complete their immunization requirements for school. The health services staff at your campus will be able to review your students’ immunization records and offer you locations to obtain immunizations if they are needed.

Immunizations are also available by appointment at:

Texas Department of State Health Services: 217 Williams St., Marlin, TX, 76661 or 225 W. Waco Dr., Suite 201, Waco, TX 76706



My child had the shots you say he/she is missing. Didn’t the doctor’s office send it to you?

No. Your doctor’s office does not send your student’s health information to the school. When your child gets their vaccinations, please ask for a copy and bring it to your campus clinic.

I do not want my child to get the required vaccines, is there a paper I can sign?

Yes. You must apply for an affidavit from the Texas Department of State Health Services. All forms are mailed to you. Affidavits must be notarized (including the parent signature and the vaccines exempt for your student) and turned in to the campus clinic. These affidavits expire every two years and can take 7-10 days to arrive. Please plan accordingly. The website is:

Affidavit Request Website

Don’t you check the state immunization registry (Immtrac)?

Yes. We check Immtrac whenever possible. Parents must opt-in to the state registry for immunizations, which is done through your physician’s office. We do not input data into the state registry, so we cannot guarantee it has the most current information. Please continue to provide your individual student’s immunization records to the campus clinic.

My child has an appointment for their vaccinations on exclusion day or the day after exclusion day. Can they come to school until the appointment?

No. Unfortunately, they cannot be in school until the vaccines have been given and the campus clinic has the updated record.

Do you all notify parents when shots are due for our children?

Yes. We notify families via email, mail, telephone, and by sending letters with your student. Please make sure your home and email addresses, as well as phone numbers, are up to date in the school system. You can update those with the campus registrar.

Why do you care if I vaccinate my child?

The Texas Administrative Code, Title 25 Health Services, §§97.61-97.72 sets the minimum standards for school immunization requirements. All Texas schools and child-care facilities must follow these requirements.

For medical reasons, my child cannot receive the vaccines that are required. What should I do?

Talk with your physician. If your physician feels the vaccines are medically contradicted, then the physician can write a medical exemption. The medical exempt is valid for 1 year unless the physician writes it as a lifelong exemption. The physician’s written exemption must be turned into the school clinic.

My child has practice before school. Can they attend practice and go home before school starts? No. They cannot attend any school-related functions, UIL events, or ride the bus, starting the day of exclusion. This remains in effect until updated immunization information is delivered to the school clinic.


Please click on the link below for more information about the vaccines from Falls Community Hospital and Clinic


Research shows that healthy children do better in school - from attendance and behavior to academics and overall performance.

What is a SHAC?

In May 2001, the legislature passed Senate Bill 19. It requires each school district to implement a Coordinated School Health Program and to establish a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) to make recommendations regarding that program.

A SHAC (School Health Advisory Council) is a school board appointed advisory group of individuals who represent different segments of the community. By law, a majority of the members must be persons who are parents of students enrolled in the district and who are not employed by the district. The RLISD SHAC is made up of parents, community members, students, and school staff working together to improve the health of all students and families through coordinated school health programs.

Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?

It's Texas law

Healthy children learn better

Healthy homes and healthy schools support healthy children

These councils serve in an advisory capacity and do not have any legal responsibilities within the school system. The SHAC members must be approved by the school board, and comply with written by-laws of the organization.

Each person has an opportunity to contribute to the agenda and to bring forth suggestions and concerns regarding school health issues.

Meetings must be held a minimum of four times per year.

What do they do?

The SHAC has a variety of roles addressing all components of a comprehensive school health program. The components include:

Health instruction

Healthful school environment

School health services

Physical education

School counseling

Nutrition services

Health promotion for staff and faculty

Integrated school and community programs

During the 2022-2023 school year, the SHAC Committee will meet a minimum of 4 times throughout the year.

How can I help?

Become knowledgeable about district efforts to create healthy learning environments.

Join PTA / Booster Clubs/campus site-based teams

Join Rosebud Lott ISD School Health Advisory Committee

Attend campus and district events and activities

Tobacco Policy

Attend SHAC meetings

Planned Projects for Future

Resource from DSHS-School Health Advisory Council

Texas School Health Advisory Committee